Friday, December 16, 2011

Recent NOTD: Jessica Disco Diva

You're going to want to settle in and get comfortable for this entry because I loved this polish so much that I took eleventy billion photos of it and had a very hard time cutting down that number when trying to decide which ones to include here. The polish in question is Jessica Disco Diva, which I got a heads up about thanks to Rachel of Rachel Marie's Nails. I don't run across Jessica in my usual travels, so didn't know they were doing a silver holo. It comes in a set called Hologram Chic along with a base coat named Retro Revival. (The bottles I got say "Hologram Top Coat" on them, rather than "Hologram Chic" as shown on the Jessica Cosmetics site, but I'm not fussed about that since it's the right stuff in the bottles.)



Doesn't look like much in the bottle, does it? Once it's dry on the nail, the rainbows start to peek out, even in indirect light:





This is two coats of Disco Diva. I put Instant Artificials on my nails first, then the Retro Revival base, then Disco Diva.







Take it outside into the sunlight and blam! Full on linear holo rainbow goodness!





Sunlight coming in through a window works, too:











No sunlight? No problem. It made pretty, pretty rainbows in my windowless laundry room lit just by the two-bulb ceiling fixture:





I was having such fun looking at this that I didn't want to take it off, but I did want to see how it looked compared to two other silver holos in my collection, GOSH Holographic and China Glaze OMG.



For the non-Jessica holos, I used Instant Artificials followed by Nfu Oh Aqua Base, then two coats of color. OMG didn't seem to like that base coat combination and got a little lumpy. Here's what they looked like in indirect light:


Top to bottom: Disco Diva, Holographic, Disco Diva, OMG.


In regular room light:


Top to bottom: Holographic, Disco Diva, OMG.


In sunlight through a window:


Left to right: OMG, Disco Diva, Holographic, Disco Diva.


As you can see, both Disco Diva and Holographic have bigger holo particles than OMG, and I think Disco Diva's might be slightly larger than Holographic's. Much as I love Holographic, and I do—it was on my Top 20 list last year—Disco Diva has taken over as my favorite silver holo. It seems to throw off more rainbow-y rainbows. Holographic is a very close second to it, though, and I'm not letting it go.


Holographic (top), Disco Diva (bottom).


My plan the day I put on Disco Diva was to swatch it, do a comp, then take it off and do a holiday-themed mani. Once I had it on, though, I just couldn't face removing it right away, so I painted the rest of my nails with it and turned it into a full mani. (I did leave the two fingers that already had Holographic and OMG as they were and wore it out that way—let's call it holo skittles.) Because I was going to wear this a while, I decided to try adding topcoat. I used my trusty Sally Hansen Insta Dri in the red bottle, and at first I thought I'd made a mistake, as the holo turned plain silver where the topcoat went on. Once it was dry, though, the rainbows were back! I did leave one nail un-topcoated to see what would happen and if I could notice any difference. After a couple days, the nail without topcoat definitely showed more wear, and the ones with topcoat had just as pretty rainbows, so I'll be using topcoat with this in future.


Disco Diva without topcoat (top), with topcoat (bottom).


The set of Disco Diva and Retro Revival retails for $24, which puts it in the OPI DS range per bottle, but this holo is way, way better than any of the recent OPI DS polishes. I'm hoping Jessica does more holos like this, in more colors. I like this one so much that I broke my "no more backups" rule for it. I don't think I'll run out, but I did seriously consider putting it right back on after I took it off, and that hasn't happened to me in a long time, so I decided it was worth it to have a backup just to keep my anxiety levels down.

29 comments:

  1. So fabulous! I am insanely jealous, this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous holo! Out of the comparisons you did, I kept thinking it was the clear winner. Even in the shade it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh. This is totally and completely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't is awesome and amazing?! Jessica needs to get more love especially this set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just gorgeous!! I love polishes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Looks awesome! Thx for the comps too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow look at the beautiful rainbows so amazingly beautiful! I know what you mean about having anxiety about polishes and feeling like a back up is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I didn't realize this brand had a holo! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow such a great holo! Love the pictures! There no way you can't love this color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A whole lot of goodness in this post!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pretty! Love it, would snap it up if Jessicas shipping was better to canada

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at that holo... it doesn't look that impressive in the bottle, but on the nail... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's the more holo 0.0
    Wow!
    Thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holos always make us take do many photos! :P I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for posting the comparison- I've been dying to get this set but the availability (etailers don't seem to carry them at the moment) sucks....

    I never thought, there'd be something more holographic than the Gosh Holo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's gorgeous! And I thought Jessica just did boring classic colours, but this is awesome! I like that it shows the rainbow indoors as well. That has always been my problem with OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! I have never heard of this polish before but that is a beautiful holo *_*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. You should be passing out drool buckets for this post! That is AWESOME. I'm so glad you did the comp with Holographic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy crap a moly! Themz some kind of awesome rainbows! Wonder how it compares to NFu Oh 61? I really love this a lot! Holos make me happy! Nice pictures! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Disco diva is stunning I wouldn't be able to just swatch it and remove it right away either ... Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this, where do you find Jessica polishes?

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG what a beauty!!! This is one of the prettiest, most colourful holos I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, ladies!

    Fingers, I missed getting the original really holo Nfu Oh 61, so I'm not sure on the comparison for that one.

    Amanda, the only place I've seen this set is the Jessica Cosmetics website.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.