Friday, May 11, 2012

Recent NOTD and POTD: Sally Hansen Pedicure Salon Effects Strips

Unlike all the hemming and hawing and delaying I did when the Salon Effects strips for fingers first came out, when I saw the Pedicure Salon Effects, I bought some the minute I could get them on even a tiny sale. For my first venture, I chose the dusty purple and black snakeskin design called Snake Rattle & Roll.



Unlike the nail strips, which are individual and come in two sealed packages inside the box, these come attached to each other on two strips that are sealed into one package. The strips themselves are shaped differently, with a flatter curve at one end and no curve at all on the other. Like the nail strips, they come with a mini orange stick and a file/buffer; the file is a bit larger than the one that comes with the nail strips.



I could see right away that these strips were way, way longer than my toenails. I decided I'd try to save enough to do a manicure with them, too; since they're all packaged together, I couldn't do my usual trick of saving half for another application. So I cut the strips down closer to the length of my toenails before I removed the clear top sheet and backing and applied to my toes. The application was pretty easy; of course by now I've had lots of practice putting these on my fingers. My baby toes were the hardest, just because the nails are so tiny. I don't keep much free edge on my toenails, so when it came time to use the file to remove the excess strip material from the ends that was a bit more difficult than on my nails but I managed. Here's how they turned out:



When it came time to do my fingers, I had to trim the ends of the strips to better fit the curve at the base of my nails; I didn't always manage to do a good job at this. I found I didn't have quite enough strips to cover all my nails, so I did accent nails with a base of Wet 'n' Wild Wild Shine Black Creme topped with one of the skinny baby toe strips, then sealed with topcoat. I quite liked the effect.





This was the first time in a very long time that I've had matching fingers and toes. I took the strips off my fingers after a week; I'd had only one "chip", where the strip peeled off part of my nail (probably because I hadn't smoothed it down quite well enough). As I worked with the remover, it was clear some areas were thicker than others—at one point I had a fishnet effect going on. Next time I wear these perhaps I'll get a black striper and fill in the design then top with a jelly to make my next mani.



The strips are still on my toes as of right now; that's been almost two weeks. I haven't noticed any wear or peeling. I'll try to remember to let you know how long they eventually last.

21 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Unfortunately my OH has a major snake-phobia so I could never do this......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen these yet, but I am on the look out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat! I never heard of these before... I was never very interested in the strips for nails (although I do like the desgns) I may get the ones for toes. I bet they last a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh nice, I like that! :)
    I can't imagine doing it on the toe nails - the little one is soooo tiny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! I want to try them now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you did with the black nail polish, it looks great :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I love what you did with for your accent nail. The black looks amazing with the snakeskin pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how these look! Especially the accent nail with the black stripes, really adds a personal touch! The snake print is so nice looking. So cool on the toes, amazing its lasted so long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loooove snakeskin manicures. lol. I think after you used the nail polish remover, they still pass as another look for your nails.
    (^^,)

    ReplyDelete
  10. O_O these look amazing! i love snakeskin patterns! i love it even more on your toes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I can imagine that it must have been difficult to do the baby toes, but it's nice to know they are lasting at least 2+ weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the print, Karen! I'm interested to see how long they will take to show up here. And I always have issues with my pinky toes but I found a desk lamp that has a magnifying glass in it now and it is amazing, helps a lot! I will have to remember the accent nails and boxing them in if I don't have enough strips in the future, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really cute! I like how you made them work for your fingers also. Can't wait to find these in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like these, especially if you can get that sort of wear out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! Your toes are like mine, except yours are prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice design, love these strips :-D
    they really last a long time on your toes, great :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't seen their pedicure sets! I like this design, though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never purchased nail strips before but I absolutely LOVE the design of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't like using this on my fingers because I like to do my own nails, but I would LOVE having these on my toes. Time to go buy some!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.