Monday, August 20, 2012

Estée Lauder Explosif

I'd like to introduce you to my latest nail polish crush: Estée Lauder Explosif.





I'd describe the color as olive green or perhaps very, very tarnished gold. It's not the color that won me over, though, it's the shimmer. It's packed with shimmer of the micro-flakie variety and throws off pops of lime and purple and blue and pink and gold in different lights.







I don't know if Explosif will be as versatile as my summer fling (Essie Bikini So Teeny) but it sure is gorgeous on its own. These swatches are three coats, so I'm wondering if it might work to layer over a brown or purple. I'm definitely going to have to try layering over it; maybe it will be just the thing for the gold glitters I tend to avoid.



Explosif is from a group of five called Metal Mania. I picked up the purple one, Smashed, at the same time as Explosif (not sure when I'll get around to swatching that one) but now am wondering if I should get the other three. At $20 a bottle, they're not really impulse buys (though the bottle is so heavy and solid that I feel like I'm getting something substantial for my money).

*****

Thanks to all of you who have sent good thoughts to my mom. I'm happy to report that as of yesterday, she was released from the hospital to continue her rehab at home.


19 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you mom are back in her home, ready for rehab!
    This polish certainly has some very interesting shimmer, all though the color in it self is a bit too murky for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that your mom is getting better. That's a lovely polish! Very shimmering and deep! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  3. A speedy recovery to your mother. :)

    I can see why you have a crush on this one; it's crush-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is BEAUTIFUL! A lemming was born :)
    Prayers for momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is worth its weigh then ;) It sure looks good as hell..! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! Hopefully we'll see some layering with it soon! I'm on the lookout for this one too.

    And glad to hear your mom is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely gorgeous!! I have been seeing a lot of EL polishes lately that I have needed to add to my wishlist. Way to go Estee Lauder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful shade!!! Its wonderful that your Mom has been released! I hope home rehab goes well too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! That is one super amazing polish. I love the bottle it comes in, too! Such a neat design inside the glass. :D Glad to hear your mom was released. That's fantastic news!! Also, I'll be patiently waiting for Smashed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful...EL has really stepped up their polish game in the past yr...and sadly we don't have a dept store anymore where I live so no EL, no Lancone...etc. The dept store we did have went out of bus with the bad economy. This reminds me a little of OPI Warm & Fozzie only a greener version. Good news on your mom - thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear your mom is home <3
    The shimmer in this is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am trying to decide if I like this or not-I agree that the shimmer is awesome-am headed over to Estee's site to check out the others. Glad your mom is doing better

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK I'm back and I think I'm loving fiery hot, smashed and nouveau riche-but at $20? not sure I'm buying all three!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear your mom is home!!

    This is really pretty. I wonder how it would compare to NOPI For Gold Time's Sake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That NOPI is in my swatching queue, so I will try to remember to do a quick comparison. Based on the bottles, I'd say they're definitely at least close cousins.

      Delete
  15. Wow, now that's my kind of nail polish. Although that $20 price tag is a bit steep for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's wonderful about your mom! Love this polish- I bet it would look great layered too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.