Monday, October 8, 2012

Sally Hansen Lustre Shine Swatches

I know that there are plenty of swatches around of the Sally Hansen Lustre Shine polishes, but if don't swatch them too, it's harder for me to justify having bought all six of the colors that have been released so far. Besides, more swatches out in the world can't be a bad thing. Left to right below: Moonstone, Scarab, Lava, Plume, Firefly, Copperhead.



Moonstone is a white that glows pink at some angles. I used three coats, and there's still a hint of visible nail line, but that doesn't bother me in this case since the tint of the polish somehow is neutralizing the yellow in my nails so they look clean and pretty.







Scarab is a peacock blue with a very subtle shift to teal. This was a two-coater.







Lava has a strong rose red to orange shift. Unlike the traditional frosty shimmer finish of the first two we've seen today, this is more of a flecked/foil shimmer. I used three coats.







Plume has an olive green to gold shift. We're back to a traditional shimmer finish here and back to two coats.







Firefly is a bronze frosty shimmer that shifts to a golden green. This also is two coats.







Finally, Copperhead is a deep copper with a subtle shift to deep plum. Like most of the others, it took two coats.







I did take these all out in the sunshine, which seemed to make them all more sparkly but didn't really make the duochrome shifts any more evident. There were some nice surprises in the sparkles: Moonstone has pops of blue and green, Lava pops of pink, and Firefly pops of purple.



I did not try swatching them over black or other base colors because I'm suffering from a bit of duochrome fatigue right now. (It's quite serious; I saw China Glaze Bohemian on sale and felt no desire to buy any more of them to join the one I already own.) It may be that fatigue talking when I say I'm not that impressed by the Lustre Shine overall. Lava is worth buying, I think, especially if you didn't get things like MAC Bad Fairy or Claire's Poison Apple when they were available. If the other polishes in this line had that same sort of finish and strength of duochrome, I'd be more excited. I'd also be more excited if these were priced a touch lower; I've seen them marked anywhere from $5.99 to $8.29, and they're in .33 fl. oz./10 ml bottles, so two-thirds full size for a full size price. I will most likely get the other two Lustre Shine colors when they finally show up, but I will wait for a sale for sure.

UPDATE 2012-Nov-27: I found and swatched the other two colors; see this post.

30 comments:

  1. I swatched Lava and it came out lump after applying top coat...I don't know if it's supposed to look like that or it was just me...I didn't like how it looked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a polish almost exactly the same as Lava by a brand called, 2 True!
    Lush colours!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like lava the best... but they all look better in bottles, same as china glaze ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to see the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got lava but couldn't bring myself to spend 9 bucks on the others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is too bad these are so pricey. I only wanted Lava, but it is similar enough to OPI The Show Must Go On, which I own, that I will not buy it either.

    Do you find it odd that they didn't release all the colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lovenailpolish, yes, I do find it odd that they released six colors in a display clearly meant for eight, especially since one of missing colors is shown on the hand that's on the display photo. Guess we'll just have to wait and see when they show up.

      Delete
  7. I have a bit of a duochrome fatigue too. I didn't pick up any of the Bohemian collection. Not like me... I like scarab from this line though. I don't have it, I just like it from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say Firefly is one of the weirdest nail polish colours I've ever seen! o_O But in a good way! It's beautiful :D:D:D
    Thank you once again for sending me Claire's Poison Apple last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I picked up Lava for a swap package, but wasn't digging the others. I loooove teal so I looked at Scarab, but it doesn't have enough duochrome-ness to it, or any of them actually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have Claire's Poison Apple thanks to Karen (how many did you buy?) so I guess I don't need Lava. Which is good because otherwise I was going to have to wait for a coupon or something. I was eyeing them at the grocery store earlier, but $8.97 is just too steep. (In fact I said I was not going to buy any more polish this fall. If I'm going to cheat on that it at least has to be something considerably cheaper.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Scarab the best, and would certainly pick it up if I had the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you on the duo chrome fatigue!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous collection, I love the white one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look lovely but I keep wondering why do all the companies keep releasing the same thing at the same time in similar colour variations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like all the colours. No favourites today :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to justify buying the whole line so 15 years from now I'm not having another episode of Nail Prisms regret, but I think I can pass on most of these. Saves my wallet a little, but still... *sniffles* haha! Awesome swatches as always, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I understand your feelings about this collection, as I've piled some duochromes by now (Poison Apple and other Claire's, some Nubar, W7, italian Deborah...Every brand made an almost Peridot BTW) so these shades are not that original after all.
    I usually don't like whites but Moonstone seems the most interesting for me here.
    And yes, they're pricey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a good thing you swatched them, this is the first time I'm seeing them! Lava is great, but others have the brush-stroke feature that I dislike on most shimmery duochromes. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a sucker for duochromes. I picked up Moonstone and Scarab at the (evil but fancy) Wam-Lart in the next town over for $6.79 2 weeks ago. I picked up Copperhead, Firefly, Lava, Plume last week at my Wam-Lart and paid $3 (the manager said she saw them at Walgreen's for that amount) each. I'm not totally impressed and I think the later polishes I am going to Franken. Can anyone tell me the other polishes that are due to come out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinitchka, from what I've been able to piece together, it seems the missing two are a blue one called Azule or Azure and a purple one. Time will tell, I suppose.

      Delete
  20. I was not all that excited for this collection but I'm not a huge fan of duochromes either, I like the cremes and jellies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wasn't super impressed with these either..maybe I will give Lava a second glance.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have several dupes for Mac Bad Fairy and yet I need Lava in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh man, these are just as nice as they look in the bottle! I've been forcing myself to walk past them, but now... I think I need some....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am loving that first white one-so pretty! Can't believe you are tired of duochromes! Are you feeling ok?????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.