Friday, April 19, 2013

Wet 'n' Wild Toppings Glitters

Last month I posted the Topping limited edition collection display from Wet 'n' Wild, which has spherical bottles with long handles displayed like lollipops on sticks.



At the time, I said they very much reminded me of the Be Jeweled collection from 2012 (and Be Jeweled had been a close cousin of China Glaze Prismatic from the same year). At first, knowing I had those other two collections, combined with the awkward looking bottles, was enough to keep me from buying the Toppings. I kept seeing them around, though, and their glittery wiles worked on me. What if they weren't really like the Be Jeweled? Was I willing to miss out? No, I was not, so eventually all six colors made it to the register with me and came home to join my stash at least until I could swatch them and make an informed decision. Left to right: Gimme Some Suga', Sprinkled with Love, Frosted Over, Chip on Your Shoulder, Icing Backup, and Confections of a Bake-aholic.



When it came time to swatch, I started with Chip on Your Shoulder, which is one of two similar warm purple ones in the collection. Here's three coats of it, no topcoat:



As you can see, it's pretty sheer. The base is a pinky purple shimmer with very fine gold glitter and medium sized multi colored hex glitter.



For comparison, I pulled Wet 'n' Wild Color Icon Jewels for Your Highness from the Be Jeweled collection and China Glaze Full Spectrum from Prismatic.



On the nail, these are definitely similar, but not as similar as the bottle shot would lead one to believe would be the case. Left to right below: Jewels for Your Highness, Chip on Your Shoulder, Full Spectrum, Chip on Your Shoulder. The China Glaze is the most opaque, and it's only two coats versus three for the Wet 'n' Wilds. Comparing just the Wet 'n' Wilds, the one from Toppings is noticeably more sheer and also more golden. If I'm only going to keep two of these, it'll likely be the China Glaze and the Toppings (though I might have to decant it into a non-novelty bottle).



My curiousity then turned to the one color that Toppings has that Be Jeweled didn't, silver, in the form of Confections of a Bake-aholic. I went straight to a comparison with this one; below you'll see it next to China Glaze Polarized. This bottle shot will show you how crazy tall these Toppings bottles are—they are never going to fit in my Helmer. You'll also note the label "flag" sticking out from the Wet 'n' Wild; this flaps around when you're applying the polish, and I kept thinking it was going to flap into my wet nails and mess them up (it didn't). I'd take it off, but that's where the color name is (printed upside down when the bottle in is the proper for storage handle up orientation).



On the nail it was a similar story as the first comparison; the Wet 'n' Wild was more sheer than the China Glaze. Left to right: Polarized, Confections, Polarized, Confections.



At this point, I felt like I had a good idea how the different collections measured up against each othe, so in the interest of not abusing my cuticles any more by trying to swatch and comp the rest of the colors, I contented myself with matching up the bottles and shooting them for future reference.

Wet 'n' Wild Born into Privilege, Wet 'n' Wild Gimme Some Suga', China Glaze Ray-diant:



Wet 'n' Wild The Crown is Mine, Wet 'n' Wild Icing Backup, China Glaze Prism:



Wet 'n' Wild Bow in My Presence, Wet 'n' Wild Frosted Over, China Glaze Optical Illusion:



Wet 'n' Wild Speak When Spoken To, Wet 'n' Wild Sprinkled With Love, China Glaze Liquid Crystal:



The biggest problem with these Toppings is not the goofy novelty bottle, it's that now I've tried them I can think of all sorts of other things I want to experiment with: layering them over black, layering them over the Be Jeweled and/or the China Glaze, doing a white tip and putting them over that as a funky French, etc. The bottles only hold .33 fl. oz.; I might need to get more if I actually find time to do all the things I'm thinking about.

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of doing a funky French with these! I have one of these, I hate the little flag, I cut it off but taped the name to the handle so I didn't forget what it was called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comparisons - the bottles are very unique to look at LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the polishes but I don't like the cap. I think it would be difficult to store has it looks too long :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I don't understand the compulsion with adding a whole rainbow of glitters to each bottle. It seems lazy. Second, I still almost got a couple of these, but not having the polish name ON the bottle would have driven me crazy at some point. :p Great swatches! Just had to throw my two cents in there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bottles are ridiculous! I guess it's fine for the novelty factor, but damn. Thanks for the comparison shots! I have one of the original WnW ones, good to see they're so dupe-y!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i keep passing on these at the store. they look pretty but the packaging really annoys me. glad you like them though, and they look super pretty on you.

    fishgirl182 @ the painted ninja

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool bottles, this collection instantly reminded me of china glaze's prismatic, you made great comparison :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you did the comparison; I passed as I already have the China Glaze and WnW versions and thought they looked the same (or close anyway) and the goofy bottle annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEautiful comparisons :) I like the packaging!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.